You might have organised buying your home overseas a long time ago, but when it comes to Brexit there are a few things to consider before moving overseas. The requirements for living in France after Brexit have not been set in stone yet, with the latest updates referring to minimum resources. There is also some confusion regarding British expats’ French residency rights, healthcare and work in France after Brexit. In this article we hope to shed some light on some of these and to help guide you through the issues that most Brits are concerned with.

Minimum Resources Requirement

Many Brits are concerned about the number of resources they need to have to qualify for French residency after Brexit, especially for those who have limited income or are pensioners, which can be quite stressful.

The French government has recently published an Arrêté in the Journal Officiel, which clarifies what criteria officials need to consider when making their decisions. Such decisions will be based on individual cases, as the authorities will need to look at an individual’s specific situation, whether they own their home, paying mortgage or rent, or they have extra savings or rental income in the UK.

The French government will consider reasonable income anything that is in line with the French in-work benefit, the so-called Revenue de Solidarité Active (RSA) which is currently at €564.78 per month. For British couples for example, it will be fine if they both declare the aforementioned amount as their household income, without needing to receive €564.78 each. Regardless of how many people are residing in a specific household, the amount required will be the same as the minimum amount of the RSA for a single person without children. The same amount will also be the guideline figure for other applications such as those regarding the French benefit level for pensioners.

French Residency: Providing proof of your income

Not everyone has to provide proof of their financial situation when applying for residency. If you have lived in France for more than five years, you will only need to provide personal identity confirmation documents, proof of address documents and evidence of the date you arrived in France.

If you have been living in France for longer than 5 years or you are married to a French citizen, you will still need to apply for a residency card before 30th June 2021. If you lived less than 5 years in France, you would need to apply as either employed or self-employed, job-seeker, student, retired or as the family member of someone who meets the above criteria or the spouse, civil partner or live-in partner of a French person. If you are retired or financially inactive, then you will have to provide evidence of how you support yourself including recent tax declaration, any pension payments or recent bank statements. A French government website in both English and French provides more information about moving to or living in France.

Transferring Funds: Currency Exchange

If you are a British home buyer, a currency specialist such as Universal Partners FX can help you navigate the current market while taking into consideration your specific needs, goals and your budget. UPFX offers excellent exchange rates and has a record in providing tailored and dedicated customer care to thousands of customers worldwide.

When considering buying your dream home in France, Universal Partners FX can give you peace of mind when sending money overseas. If you want to schedule ahead and safeguard your funds, talk to one of their foreign exchange experts today.